Asthma is a chronic disease of the airways that makes breathing difficult. With asthma, there is inflammation of the air passages that result in a temporary narrowing of the airways that carry oxygen to the lungs. This results in asthma symptoms, including coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, and chest tightness. Some people refer to asthma as “bronchial asthma.”
Even though there are seemingly miraculous treatments for asthma symptoms, asthma is still a serious — even dangerous — disease that affects more than 22 million Americans and causes nearly 2 million emergency room visits every year. With proper asthma treatment, you can live well with this health condition. Yet inadequate asthma treatment limits the ability to exercise and be active. Poorly controlled asthma can lead to multiple visits to the emergency room and even hospital admission, which can affect your performance at home or at work.
Signs and Symptoms
- Shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, or wheezing
- Chest tightness or constriction
- Cough (can be the only symptom)
- Skin turning blue (cyanosis)
What Causes It?
- Sensitivity to allergens in the air, such as dust, cockroach waste, animal dander, mold, pollens
- Food allergies
- Respiratory infections
- Air pollutants, such as tobacco, aerosols, perfumes, fresh newsprint, diesel particles, sulfur dioxide, elevated ozone levels, and fumes from paint, cleaning products, and gas stoves
- Changes in the weather, especially in temperature and humidity
- Behaviors that affect breathing (exercising, laughing, crying)
Asthma may cause a number of complications, including:
- Emergency room visits and hospitalizations for severe asthma attacks
- Permanent narrowing of the bronchial tubes (airway remodeling)
- Side effects from long-term use of some medications used to stabilize severe asthma
Integrative Medicine Treatment Options
We combine the best of conventional medicine with the best of complementary and alternative therapies to give you optimal results.
Here are some options we use at Alliance Integrative Medicine LOCATED IN Cincinnati, Ohio
- Medication, Herbal Therapies and Supplements
- Energy Healing
- Mind/Body Relaxation Techniques
Our asthma patients come to us from Westchester/Liberty Township, Mason, Indian Hill, Hyde Park and Loveland as well as Terrace Park, Blue Ash, Finneytown, Reading, Springdale and from locations all over the U.S.