Your intestinal tract plays a vital role in your overall health, not only allowing life-supporting nutrients to be absorbed, but also providing the first line of defense as a physical and immune barrier to food antigens or microorganisms that you may ingest. Within this environment is a highly active society of approximately 500 different species of bacteria that can have both harmful and beneficial effects on your health. While it is imperative for your overall health that the beneficial bacteria dominate, many factors can lead to an imbalance in favor of harmful bacteria, such as a poor diet, antibiotics, and contaminated food and water. This imbalance is referred to as dysbiosis.
Dysbiosis can be responsible for several chronic health problems including allergies, digestive problems, fibromyalgia, skin disorders, depression, learning and behavioral disorders, immune dysfunction, nutritional deficiencies, and headaches.
Signs and Symptoms
- Bloating, abdominal cramping, and diarrhea
- Sudden intolerance to lactose-containing foods and beverages
- Chronic fatigue
- Joint pain
- Repeated or long term use of antibiotics can kill healthy bacteria, leaving particular areas open to be colonized by unhealthy bacteria
- Exposure to toxins such as chemicals and heavy metals
- Improper sanitation
- A diet high in protein, but low in vegetables and fiber
- Incomplete or delayed digestion
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Increased use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (e.g., aspirin, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen) and corticosteroids (e.g., hydrocortisone)
Integrative Medicine Treatment Options
We combine the best of conventional medicine with the best of complementary and alternative therapies to give you optimal results.
Here are some options we use at Alliance Integrative Medicine LOCATED IN Cincinnati, Ohio
- Medication, Herbal Therapies and Supplements
Our dysbiosis patients come to us from Indian Hill, Hyde Park, Loveland, Westchester/Liberty Township and Mason as well as Finneytown, Reading, Springdale, Terrace Park, Blue Ash and from all across the U.S