Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) occurs when material from the stomach or small intestine repeatedly enters the esophagus. Some individuals have GERD for many years. Complications, such as serious damage to the esophagus, respiratory diseases, and ear, nose, and throat conditions can occur, but are more likely with older people.
Signs and Symptoms
Heartburn – a burning sensation in the chest, throat, neck, or back – is the primary symptom of GERD. Other symptoms include:
- Difficulty or pain with swallowing
- A full sensation in the neck
- Chest pain (similar to angina)
- Chronic cough
- Sore throat
- Bad breath
GERD has many possible causes.
- Spicy foods, tomato-based foods, citrus fruits, fatty foods, chocolate, coffee, alcohol, and certain medications
- Overeating, burping intentionally, wearing tight-fitting clothes, bending over frequently, lying down soon after eating, and smoking
- Physical condition (particularly being overweight)
- The effectiveness of the valve at the bottom of your esophagus in preventing material from your stomach from entering the esophagus
- Medical conditions
Integrative Medicine Treatment Options
We combine the best of conventional medicine with the best of complementary and alternative therapies to give you optimal results.
Here are some options we use at Alliance Integrative Medicine LOCATED IN Cincinnati, Ohio
- Medication, Herbal Therapies and Supplements
- Nutritional Counseling
Our GERD patients come to us from Hyde Park, Loveland, Westchester/Liberty Township, Mason and Indian Hill as well as Reading, Springdale, Terrace Park, Blue Ash, Finneytown and from all over the United States.