Lung cancer is the most common cause of cancer death, responsible for an estimated 160,000 deaths in the United States annually. There are two major types: non-small cell lung cancer and small cell lung cancer, so named because of how the cells look under a microscope. Non-small cell lung cancer is more common, and it generally grows and spreads more slowly. There are three main types of non-small cell lung cancer, named for the type of cells in which the cancer develops: squamous cell carcinoma, adenocarcinoma, and large cell lung cancer. Small cell lung cancer grows more quickly and is more likely to spread to other organs in the body.
Signs and Symptoms
Lung cancer is accompanied by the following signs and symptoms.
- A persistent cough that gets worse over time
- Constant chest pain
- Coughing up blood
- Shortness of breath, wheezing, or hoarseness
- Repeated pneumonia or bronchitis
- Swelling of the neck and face
- Loss of appetite or weight loss
Who is most at risk?
Tobacco smoke is the biggest carcinogen, responsible for 85 percent of all lung cancers in the United States. Risk increases with the amount of tobacco used, and the amount of time it has been used. Non-smokers exposed to tobacco smoke are also at risk for developing lung cancer. Other risk factors include the following.
- Family history
- Environmental and occupational exposure to certain substances, including arsenic, asbestos, ether, chromium, nickel, and radon
- Exposure to excessive radiation (wartime or industrial exposure, or radiotherapy to the chest)
- Lung diseases
- Poor diet (however, diets high in fruits and vegetables can decrease your risk)
Integrative Medicine Treatment Options
We combine the best of conventional medicine with the best of complementary and alternative therapies to give you optimal results.
Here are some options we use at Alliance Integrative Medicine LOCATED IN Cincinnati, Ohio
- Herbal Therapies, Supplements & Medication
- Mind/Body Relaxation Techniques
- Energy Healing
Our lung cancer patients come to us from Loveland, Westchester/Liberty Township, Mason, Indian Hill and Hyde Park as well as Reading, Springdale, Terrace Park, Blue Ash, Finneytown and from all over the United States.