Metabolic syndrome, often referred to as syndrome X and/or insulin resistance syndrome is a complex health condition that affects, by conservative estimates, a quarter of the U.S. population. It refers to a cluster of symptoms characterized by varying degrees of glucose intolerance, hypertriglyceridemia (high blood lipid levels), low HDL-cholesterol, hyperinsulinemia (high blood insulin levels), hypertension, and upper body obesity, all of which are risk factors for coronary heart disease (CHD). In fact, metabolic syndrome and its associated risk factors are equivalent to cigarette smoking as contributor to premature CHD. Furthermore, it is estimated that 25% or more of individuals with metabolic syndrome will develop type II diabetes.
Signs and Symptoms
According to the National Institutes of Health, the chances of developing metabolic syndrome increase if a patient has three or more of the following symptoms:
- A family history of type 2 diabetes and/or metabolic syndrome
- Waist measurements greater than 40 inches for men and greater than 35 inches for women
- Levels of triglycerides of 150 mg/dL or greater
- Levels of HDL-cholesterol of less than 40 mg/dL in men and less than 50 mg/dL in women
- Blood pressure above 135/80
- Fasting blood sugar levels above 110 mg/dL (mg of glucose in 1 deciliter of blood)
Experts say that metabolic syndrome is caused by a combination of genetic and lifestyle factors. Obesity, a lack exercise, and nutrition appear to play a significant role in the development of metabolic syndrome.
Integrative Medicine Treatment Options
We combine the best of conventional medicine with the best of complementary and alternative therapies to give you optimal results.
Here are some options we use at Alliance Integrative Medicine LOCATED IN Cincinnati, Ohio
- Herbal Therapies, Supplements & Medication
- Nutritional Counseling
- Lifestyle Counseling
Our metabolic syndrome patients come to us from Loveland, Westchester/Liberty Township, Mason, Indian Hill and Hyde Park as well as Reading, Springdale, Terrace Park, Blue Ash, Finneytown and from all over the United States.