Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) occurs when your body’s immune system attacks and destroys the tissues that make up your joints. The joints become swollen, stiff, and painful. In later stages, the joints can become deformed. Other areas of your body can also be affected, including your lungs, heart, blood vessels, and eyes. About 1 percent of the U.S. population suffers from RA. Typically, RA strikes between the ages of 30 and 60, but it can occur at any age.
Signs and Symptoms
- Stiffness, swelling, and pain in and around certain joints, especially after not moving for a while (for example, when waking)
- Affected joints typically include hands, fingers, wrists, ankles, feet, elbows, and knees.
- Generally, if a joint on the right side of your body is affected, the same joint on the left side is also affected
- Feeling tired and run-down with swollen lymph glands, a low fever, little or no appetite, and weight loss
- Appearance of small bumps under the skin near the affected joints
Medical researchers do not know why RA develops. Genes may play some as yet unknown role. It also is possible that a change in the body, such as an infection or hormonal shift, can trigger its development.
Integrative Medicine Treatment Options
We combine the best of conventional medicine with the best of complementary and alternative therapies to give you optimal results.
Here are some options we use at Alliance Integrative Medicine LOCATED IN Cincinnati, Ohio
- Herbal Therapies, Supplements & Medication
- Mind/Body Relaxation Techniques
- Energy Healing
- Medical Massage Therapy
- Frequency Specific Microcurrent
Our rheumatoid arthritis patients come to us from Indian Hill, Hyde Park, Loveland, Westchester/LibertyTownship and Mason as well as Blue Ash, Finneytown, Reading, Springdale, Terrace Park and from all over the U.S.