TMJ – Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction
The temporomandibular joints (TMJ) connect the lower jaw, or mandible, to the temporal bones at the sides of the head. These joints are flexible, allowing the jaw to move smoothly up and down and side to side, and enabling us to talk, chew, and yawn. TMJ dysfunction involves face pain, clicking sounds in the TMJ, and limited movement of the jaw. About 33 percent of the population has TMJ dysfunction, and as many as 75 percent have some symptoms.
Signs and Symptoms
TMJ dysfunction is often accompanied by the following signs and symptoms.
- Pain, particularly in the chewing muscles and/or jaw joint
- Limited movement or locking of the jaw
- Radiating pain in the face, neck, or shoulders
- Painful clicking, popping, or grating sounds in the jaw joint when opening or closing the mouth
- A sudden, major change in the way the upper and lower teeth fit together
- Also, sometimes headaches, earaches, dizziness, and hearing problems
The only definitive cause of TMJ dysfunction is a severe injury, such as a heavy blow, to the jaw or temporomandibular joint. Other possible causes include the following.
- A bad bite (malocclusion)
- Orthodontic treatment, such as braces and the use of headgear
- Jaw clicking, which is more likely the sign of a displaced disk
Stress, which may cause or aggravate TMJ dysfunction. People with TMJ dysfunction often clench or grind their teeth at night, which can tire the jaw muscles and lead to pain.
Integrative Medicine Treatment Options
We combine the best of conventional medicine with the best of complementary and alternative therapies to give you optimal results.
Here are some options we use at Alliance Integrative Medicine LOCATED IN Cincinnati, Ohio
- Herbal Therapies, Supplements & Medication
- Mind/Body Relaxation Techniques
- Energy Healing
- Medical Massage Therapy
- Frequency Specific Microcurrent
Oour TMJ dysfunction patients come to us from Mason, Indian Hill, Hyde Park, Loveland and Westchester/Liberty Township as well as Terrace Park, Blue Ash, Finneytown, Reading, Springdale and from locations all over the U.S.