Urinary Tract Infection
Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are caused by bacteria and are 10 times more common among women than men. About 30 percent of UTIs go away and do not recur. When UTIs do recur, it is often because the treatments used to suppress bacteria seem to work at first, but do not produce a lasting cure. UTIs can also recur when a woman is infected again by a different kind of bacterium.
Signs and Symptoms
- Pain or burning when urinating
- The need to urinate more often than usual
- A feeling of urgency when you urinate
- Blood or pus in the urine
- Cramps or pain in the lower abdomen
- Chills or fever (fever may be the only symptom in infants and children)
- Strong-smelling urine
- Pain during sexual intercourse
Some risk factors include the following.
- A new sex partner or multiple partners
- More frequent or intense intercourse
- Use of irritating products such as harsh skin cleansers
- Use of irritating contraceptives such as diaphragms and spermicides
- Use of birth control pills
- Heavy use of antibiotics
- A blockage in the urinary tract (benign masses or tumors)
- A history of UTIs, especially if the infections were less than six months apart
Integrative Medicine Treatment Options
We combine the best of conventional medicine with the best of complementary and alternative therapies to give you optimal results.
Here are some options we use at Alliance Integrative Medicine LOCATED IN Cincinnati, Ohio
- Herbal Therapies, Supplements & Medication
Our urinary tract infection patients come to us from Hyde Park, Loveland, Westchester/LibertyTownship, Mason and Indian Hill as well as Finneytown, Reading, Springdale, Terrace Park, Blue Ash and from all across the U.S.