Uterine fibroids are the most common, non-cancerous tumors in women of childbearing age. The fibroids are made of muscle cells and other tissues that grow within and around the wall of the uterus.
As many as three out of four women have uterine fibroids, although most are unaware of them because fibroids often cause no symptoms. Sometimes they are discovered incidentally during a pelvic exam or prenatal ultrasound.
Signs and Symptoms
Many women with uterine fibroids have no symptoms. Symptoms of uterine fibroids can include:
- Heavy or painful periods, or bleeding between periods
- Feeling “full” in the lower abdomen
- Urinating often
- Pain during sex
- Lower back pain
- Reproductive problems, such as infertility, multiple miscarriages, or early labor
- Most women with fibroids do no have problems with fertility and can get pregnant. Some women with fibroids may not be able to get pregnant naturally. But advances in treatments for infertility may help some of these women get pregnant.
While doctors are unsure of the exact cause of fibroids, research seems to be pointing in the direction of hormones, genetic alterations or bodily chemicals.
Of note, there seem to be several risk factors for uterine fibroids:
- African American woman are at three- to five-times greater risk than white women for fibroids.
- Women who are overweight or obese for their height are at greater risk.
- Women who have given birth are a lower risk.
Integrative Medicine Treatment Options
We combine the best of conventional medicine with the best of complementary and alternative therapies to give you optimal results.
Here are some options we use at Alliance Integrative Medicine LOCATED IN Cincinnati, Ohio
- Herbal Therapies, Supplements & Medication
- Frequency Specific Microcurrent
- Energy Healing
Our uterine fibroids patients come to us from Loveland, Westchester/Liberty Township, Mason, Indian Hill and Hyde Park as well as Reading, Springdale, Terrace Park, Blue Ash, Finneytown and from all over the United States.