Forty percent of all types of vaginitis are caused by candida, a yeast-like fungus. When it multiplies in the vaginal tract, the disorder is called vulvovaginitis. Women often refer to it as a “yeast infection.” About 75 percent of women get candida vaginitis at some time in their lives.
Signs and Symptoms
- Itching in the vagina and vulva
- Vaginal discharge (small amounts are normal, however)
- Red, swollen, painful vaginal mucous membranes and external genitalia
- Satellite lesions (tender, red, pus-filled bumps, which can spread to thighs and anus)
Candida is a yeast-like fungus that grows in the vagina. When there is too much of it, it causes infection. The following increase your chance of getting a yeast infection.
- Antibiotics—especially broad-spectrum types
- Pregnancy—from increased heat and moisture and hormonal shifts
- Corticosteroid use
- Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection
- Taking birth control pills
- Being overweight
- High sugar intake
- Wearing panty hose, tight clothing, or noncotton underwear
Integrative Medicine Treatment Options
We combine the best of conventional medicine with the best of complementary and alternative therapies to give you optimal results.
Here are some options we use at Alliance Integrative Medicine LOCATED IN Cincinnati, Ohio
- Herbal Therapies, Supplements & Medication
Our vaginitis patients come to us from Westchester/Liberty Township, Mason, Indian Hill, Hyde Park and Loveland as well as Springdale, Terrace Park, Blue Ash, Finneytown, Reading and from all across the United States.