5 Steps to Stay Healthy All Winter Long
This list of natural remedies keeps our staff and families healthy throughout cold and flu season.
1. Avoid simple sugars as much as possible.This includes all desserts, pastries, and sweet treats but also refined grain products like pasta and bread. When your body eats certain grains it turns into sugar in your body. Studies have shown that refined sugars can suppress your immune system for up to 4 hours after being ingested.
2. Drink plenty of fluids, especially warmer liquids. Winter can be a challenging time to stay hydrated with dry air inside and outside. Drinking herbal teas like ginger and echinacea may support your immune system and keep you hydrated. Try to avoid concentrated fruit juices.
3. Add Vitamin C and Zinc. Most of us are aware of the immune benefits of Vitamin C. Combine this with zinc for your next plane trip or party to avoid catching a bug. We recommend ImmuCore, which contains Vitamin C, zinc, and mushroom extracts – available in our retail store.
4. Add warming spices to your meals. Keep your kitchen stocked with garlic, onions, ginger, turmeric, and cinnamon to add to your meals. These foods have anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties to help you fight that cold if you get one.
5. Take Vitamin D. Adequate levels of Vitamin D are essential for optimal immune function. This is nearly impossible to achieve during the winter months without supplementation. Get your levels checked and supplement to reach ideal blood level of 50-75 ng/dl.
Bonus Tip: Add a mushroom extract and probiotic supplement for an extra immune boost!
By Dr. Tiffany Lester